Thursday, March 31, 2011

Central Market and Promise Fulfilled

The central market is called the Piatsa Centru.  It sells just about everything but mainly it sells vegetables, eggs, fish, clothes, purses, just about everything.  I have purchased a few things there but last weekend was very nice so Bob and I decided to take our cameras and some cash and walk the 6 blocks.  It was pretty crowded but we got some good shots.


These are chicken feet all neatly bagged.  I don't know their use other than to scare small children - (Czerniak Family history).  They must be yummy, she has already sold half of her box!
 This is one of the dried bean stands.  We bought some black beans and they were delicious.

 This is the bean lady.  She was very nice.

 The very popular potato aisle.
 I have made certain promises about a babushka and so here it is - a photo of me wearing a purple babushka and carrying a market bag (special for the central market) that cost me $1.00.  If this doesn't say Soviet senior citizen, I don't know what does.
I almost forgot, no smiling.  Now I look like all the mature women around here except for the glasses.  Very few people wear glasses here.  I think that is a sure give away that Bob and I are from the USA.

Have a good week  -  Beth

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beth,
    This is Sandy Garnett, Rod's wife! I read about the chicken feet and had to tell you about a children's book. It's by Tomie de Paolo and the title is Watch Out for Chicken Feet in your Soup. It's about a boy who takes his friend to his old-fashioned Italian grandmother's house. She makes soup with chicken feet. It has a nice recipe for Easter bread dolls in it (and egg with bread dough wrapped around it).
    I'm looking forward to meeting you in July (will you still be in Moldova then?)

    ReplyDelete